CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 5, 2007

I'm Not Making My Kids Share Anymore

Just kidding, but seriously, I have a sharing issue. I was coloring with Jaeda tonight at the kitchen table. Now, when it comes to me and art projects, I take them very seriously, and tonight, too seriously. I LOVED what I was coloring for Jaeda and I had been working on it for like 20 minutes. I get on the phone with my friend Katie, and Jaeda starts asking for whichever color I am using at that moment. I ABSOLUTELY did not want to share...not at all. Katie asked me to please share with my daughter when she started hearing Jaeda begging in the background. I totally did not want to. In fact, I told her that she needs to learn to be patient (but not to teach her a virtue, but to indulge in my own selfishness!)
I was not sure if I needed to demonstrate sharing to her every time she asked for a marker, or require patience of her and KEEP the color until I was finished! So, what do you think? Please tell me that I am not the only Mommy who doesn't like to share her toys.

5 comments:

Hannah Fields said...

hey laura. you are so funny. grace and i go through the same thing. Every time i pick up a crayola she wants that color. I was reading a book last week, and it said that early two year olds cannot grasp the concept of sharing yet. I still havent figured out how that plays out in teaching grace. I dont let her take other children's toys. but instead of trying to teach the concept of "sharing" I am teaching her to let others play with her toys. Isnt that sharing? Basicly I dont have an answer. when you figure it out let me know. :)

joy said...

that is so funny!--i love it. i don't always share things with the boys either. i think each kid has something that i don't require them to share--we all have things like that, right? i don't know if a marker falls in that category, but....
:)

katy said...

This cracks me up! I'm not sure what is best, maybe a combination? :)

The Oakes said...

it sounds to me like you already know your answer. you even admited that you weren't trying to teach her, you were being selfish. i agree with your friend hannah. she may not be old enough to understand the concept of sharing but she understands being kind. we don't take toys away from KJ because it isn't kind. later on she will pick up on the whole sharing idea.

p.s. i really like your last few blogs.....the "transperancy" as your friend calls it is quite refreshing.

The Pavliches said...

Ok ya'll
I do teach my kids to share and I teach them to give their toys to others, but when it comes to playing with ME I totally didnt want to do it! I think I actually need the help...Jaeda was better than me!